Makes 12 large or 36 mini muffins/ These moist and delicious muffins are a great way to start a day. Containing both oat bran and wheat germ, they are packed with fiber.
1 1/2 cups organic unbleached white flour
1 1/2 cups organic whole grain pastry flour
1 1/2 tablespoons each: brewer's yeast, wheat germ and oat bran
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and sea salt
1 1/2 cup plain organic nonfat yogurt
3 tablespoons dark roast instant coffee
10 tablespoons organic unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sucanot, ground
2 extra large organic eggs
1 cup Sunspire organic semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 375*F. Completely grease the inside and top of muffin pans. Set aside.
2. Mix flours, brewer's yeast, wheat germ, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Blend yogurt with coffee in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sucanot until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Beat in 1/2 of the flour mixture. Beat in 1/3 of the yogurt mixture. Beat in remaining flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the yogurt mixture, until incorporated. Fold in the chips.
6. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop a generous portion of batter into the muffin pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Set on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and serve warm. (For mini muffins, use a small scoop and bake for 12-15 minutes.)