Lovely Lemon Layer Cake Serves 12 Lemony, moist and tender, this maple-syrup-sweetened cake is made without dairy or eggs. Spread layers with Luscious Lemony Tofu Cream and top with Maple-Glazed Cranberries.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 25 to 30 minutes
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (peel)
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup soy milk
1/3 cup filtered water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil two 8-inch round cake pans. Line pans with parchment paper circles.
2. Sift flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir in lemon zest.
3. In another bowl or blender, mix together oil, maple syrup, soy milk, water, lemon juice, vinegar and extracts until foamy. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Using a wire whisk, mix together quickly but thoroughly.
4. Pour batter into prepared cake pans, dividing evenly. Place pans on center rack of preheated oven. Bake 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly or a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. The layers will be lightly browned. Remove cakes from oven and let cool on wire racks about 10 minutes. Carefully release sides of cake from pan using a dinner knife, then turn cakes out onto wire racks and allow them to cool completely. Wrap each cooled layer in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
5. To assemble cake: Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the Luscious Lemony Tofu Cream. Place top layer on cream, press down lightly and spread top with remaining tofu cream. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Top with Maple-Glazed Cranberries just before serving.
Variations: Instead of cranberries, garnish cake with a sprinkling of lemon zest or grated coconut.