Green Soba Roll Yields 32 pieces
This vegetarian sushi is as tasty as it is exotic.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Soaking Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 package mugwort soba noodles
2 medium-size portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon tamari or shoyu
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
3 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 package baked tofu
4 shiso leaves
1/4 package pickled ginger
2 scallions, cut vertically into 18-inch strips
1 medium cucumber seeded, peeled and cut into 18-inch julienne strips
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch julienne strips
4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
4 sheets toasted nori
Nori Dipping Sauce
1. In a medium-size stock pot, bring water to a boil. Add a pinch of sea salt and soba noodles. Simmer uncovered for 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
2. Soak mushrooms for 30 minutes in water, tamari and ginger. Mix mirin and sesame oil with garlic and 2 tablespoons of the mushroom soaking liquid. Add to a small sauté pan on a low flame and gently sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes, or until soft. Remove mushrooms from pan and cool. Cut into 1/4-inch julienne strips.
3. Slice baked tofu into 1/4-inch-thick, finger-sized pieces.
4. Lay sushi mat on a flat, dry surface with the bamboo slats running horizontally. Place 1 nori sheet with the shiniest side down and the longest edge coming to the bottom edge of the mat. Dampen your hands with water. Arrange the noodles over 2/3 of the nori, leaving 1/3 inch at the top of the sheet and 1/4 inch at the bottom uncovered. Repeat with additional layers of noodles until about 1/4-inch thick.
5. Sprinkle noodles with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds. Place 1 shiso leaf over noodles. One inch up from the bottom of the nori, horizontally arrange 2 pieces each of mushrooms, tofu, scallions, cucumbers and avocado. Layer 4 pieces of pickled ginger on top.
6. Follow directions for rolling and slicing sushi as described in steps 5, 6, 7 and 8 of Nori Maki. Serve with Nori Dipping Sauce and wasabi paste.