Serves 4 / This recipe is much more healthful than most commercially-made versions. I used fresh cod and free-range organic chicken, and my food critics loved 'em. Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound white fish fillets (flounder, cod, etc.) or 1 pound chicken breast fillets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 egg white
1/2 cup 2-percent low-fat milk
Shake-it-Up Breading Mix
(Breading for 2 cups veggies or 1 pound chicken or fish fillets)
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking oil, then coat with canola oil.
2. Rinse fish or chicken fillets. Pat dry with a paper towel. Lightly sprinkle salt on both sides of fillets.
3. For fish sticks, carefully cut fillets into long strips. For chicken bits, cut fillets into 1-inch squares.
4. Combine breading mix ingredients in a bag; shake well.
5. Place breading mix and grated lemon rind into a small paper bag. On a pie plate, combine egg, egg white and milk, then beat with a whisk or fork until well blended.
6. Dip fish or chicken pieces into the egg and milk mixture. Place fish or chicken pieces, a few at a time, into bag with breading mix and grated lemon rind, hold bag closed and shake well.
7. Place coated fish sticks or chicken bits on baking dish. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Calories 293,Fat 10,Perfat 29,Cholesterol 116,Carbo 20,Protein 30,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A