Yields about 16 breadsticks
This recipe gives your kids more opportunity to play with dough. Let them have fun creating shapes such as letters from the alphabet, snakes or whatever they can imagine. Then add favorite toppings for crunch, flavor and extra fiber, too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1 recipe whole-grain pizza dough or 1 pound frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
1 egg, beaten>
1 cup toppings such as sesame, poppy or sunflower seeds; grated Parmesan cheese
Salt or seasonings to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
2. Divide dough into 16 portions. Let kids create their own shapes.
3. Pour toppings into a large plate or pan. Sprinkle in any additional salt or seasonings.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and brush on breadshapes. Then roll shapes in toppings.
5. Lay final creations on baking sheet and let rise 5 minutes. For a soft, chewy breadstick, bake for 15 minutes. If a crunchy breadstick is desired, let them dry out in the oven at 200°F for an hour or so after baking.