Take Dr. Bratman's quiz to see if your perspective on food has shifted from healthful to fanatic. Give yourself one point for each yes answer.
- Do you spend more than three hours a day thinking about healthy food? (For four hours, give yourself two points.)
- Do you plan tomorrow's food today?
- Do you care more about the virtue of what you eat than the pleasure you receive from eating it?
- Have you found that as the quality of your diet has increased, the quality of your life has correspondingly diminished?
- Do you keep getting stricter with yourself?
- Do you sacrifice experiences you once enjoyed to eat the food you believe is right?
- Do you feel an increased sense of self-esteem when you are eating healthy food and look down on others who don't?
- Do you feel guilt or self-loathing when you stray from your diet?
- Does your diet socially isolate you?
- When you are eating the way you believe you are supposed to, do you feel a peaceful sense of control?
IF YOU SCORED...
2-3: You are borderline orthorexic.
4-9: You are probably orthorexic, consider reevaluating your priorities.
10-11: As Bratman says, "You don't have a life—you have a menu!" Seek help.