Serves 4 / Serving tip: Serve with Wilted Red Swiss Chard with Garlic and Goat Cheese.
- 1 medium leek
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled, cored, and evenly sliced into spears
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 4 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts (4 ounces each)
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala, Madeira, sherry, or white wine (or water)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1. Cut leek lengthwise and wash carefully. Thinly slice white part crosswise (discard greens). Place leek, parsnips, and half of the thyme leaves in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on high until easily pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes. Drain off water, remove lid, give a quick toss, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400˚. Lay chicken, skin-side down, on a piece of plastic wrap on a hard surface, and cover with another layer of plastic wrap. Pound to an even thickness of 1/2 inch. (This facilitates even cooking.) In a shallow dish, mix rosemary, salt, pepper, thyme, and arrowroot powder; dredge both sides of chicken in mixture.
3. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to parsnips, leeks, and thyme; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Place in top third of oven and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Coat a 12-inch skillet with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and place over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, place chicken in pan, skin-side down, and brown for 2–3 minutes. (Do not move them; they’ll stick at first but release easily once browned.) Turn and brown other side, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, cover, and keep warm.
5. Reduce pan heat to medium-low and add shallots and garlic. Sauté for 1–2 minutes, until soft. Increase heat to medium-high and add Marsala or other liquid, scraping up brown bits. When liquid reduces by half (about 1 minute), whisk in parsley and soy sauce.
6. Remove chicken skin. Surround chicken with parsnip mixture and top with pan sauce. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
PER SERVING: 331 cal, 33% fat cal, 12g fat, 2g sat fat, 66mg chol, 29g protein, 27g carb, 6g fiber, 538mg sodium