Tea-Marinated Grilled Tofu Steaks with Chanterelle Mushrooms
Makes 6 servings / High in protein and low in cholesterol, this dish marries two staples of the Asian pantry, tea and tofu. Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus 1-1/2 hours for marinating tofu Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
1 14-ounce package firm tofu, well drained
2 teaspoons Yunnan tea brewed in 1 quart sub-boiling water (if unavailable, substitute Darjeeling or English Breakfast)
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces fresh chanterelles or other mushrooms such as shiitake or oyster, cleaned, dried and sliced
1. Slice tofu horizontally into two rectangles of equal thickness. Wrap tofu in several paper towels. Set a two-pound weight on a sheet pan. Place this pan on the tofu for about a half-hour. Store tofu in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
2. Brew the tea and strain through a sieve. Pour the tea along with the soy, one crushed garlic clove, gingerroot and brown sugar in bowl large enough to accommodate the tofu without crushing it. Gently place the tofu in the liquid and allow to marinate at least one hour at cool room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Remove tofu from sauce, reserving the marinade. Dry the tofu well with paper towels. Heat a heavy skillet until hot. Add the olive oil and carefully place the tofu into the pan. (It may spatter, so stand back.) Cook for 5 minutes, turn and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm while you cook the mushrooms.
4. Heat olive oil in heavy skillet, add remaining garlic and cook, stirring, so that the garlic doesn't burn. Add mushrooms and cook, moving the mushrooms gently, until golden brown. Remove from heat and reserve.
5. Reduce marinade in a heavy saucepan until thick enough to lightly coat a spoon. Add mushrooms and toss to coat with sauce. Season to taste.
6. Assembly: Place tofu on warmed plates, top with the sauce and mushrooms and drizzle any sauce remaining in the pan over the entire dish.
Calories 103,Fat 6,Perfat 56,Cholesterol 0,Carbo 4,Protein 8,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A