Seared Moano with Poor Man's Caviar Serves 4
This recipe, also from Patrick Callarec, is surprisingly simple, but its rich flavors will satisfy even those who don't think they like fish. If you prefer the fish more well-done, increase the cooking time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 medium eggplant
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
2 sprigs thyme
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
46-ounce moano fillets
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut eggplant in half and brush skin with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake about 25 minutes, until soft. Cool to room temperature.
3. Scoop eggplant into a medium bowl and mix in the garlic, basil and the leaves from 1 sprig of the thyme.
4. Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice and 1 sprig of thyme in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cool to room temperature and remove the sprig of thyme.
5. Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sear moano fillets on each side until lightly browned and cooked as desired.
6. Portion the eggplant mixture evenly between 4 plates. Top with moano fillets. Drizzle with lemon-thyme oil and serve immediately.