Serves 12 / An unusual and healthy alternative to other baking fats, extra-virgin olive oil lends its characteristic fruity aroma to this satisfying cake, similar in texture to a pound cake. The slightly bitter peels lend a not-too-sweet, sophisticated taste.
2 organic oranges
2 organic lemons
1/2 cup almond slivers, lightly toasted
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup fruity olive oil
Powdered sugar, to decorate
3 oranges, peeled and segmented into a bowl
2 pink grapefruits, peeled and segmented into a bowl
2 tablespoons grated organic orange peel
3/4 teaspoon orange blossom water (optional)
1. In a saucepan, cover whole oranges and lemons with water; bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30–45 minutes, or until fruit is very soft. Drain and cool. Halve fruit; scoop out and discard pulp. Reserve softened skins and pith. (This step may be done in advance.)
2. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10-inch, fluted Bundt pan.
3. Roughly chop citrus skins. In a food processor, process toasted almonds to a powder. Set aside. Add citrus skins to processor and process until finely chopped.
4. With an electric mixer, beat eggs and slowly add sugar, coriander, and extracts, beating until fluffy and pale tan, about 10 minutes. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, alternating with olive oil, finishing with the flour. Fold in puréed citrus peel and ground almonds. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 45–50 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
5. To make Citrus Compote: Grate oranges, reserving grated peel. Peel and section oranges and grapefruits into a wide, shallow bowl. Over a small bowl, squeeze remaining membranes to extract juice. In a second small bowl, combine grated orange peel, blossom water (if using), and 2 tablespoons squeezed juices. Pour mixture over segmented fruit. Cover and let stand at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend.
6. Cool cake and gently unmold. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. To serve, cut cake into wedges and spoon citrus compote alongside.
PER SERVING: 279 cal, 52% fat cal, 17g fat, 2g sat fat, 71mg chol, 5g protein, 30g carb, 3g fiber, 212mg sodium