Lentil Burgers With Herbed Chevre Sauce
Serves 10-12 / The best of the burgers. Serve on burger rolls with all the trimmings. Try one of the mock mayonnaises as a topping or vata-balancing Herbed Chevre Sauce (recipe follows).
1 cup lentils
3 cups vegetable stock or water
2 tablespoons ghee or oil
Pinch of hing, optional
1 carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 cup bell peppers, minced
1/2 cup bulgur
1 teaspoon salt, less if using salted stock
Dry bread crumbs
Ghee or oil
Herbed Chevre Sauce
1 cup creamy chevre, such as Montrachet
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon each dried tarragon, basil and dill, or 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh herbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon curry powder or churna, depending on dosha
Generous sprinkling of black pepper
Stock or water
1. Bring lentils and stock or water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt ghee or oil in small skillet. Add hing, carrot, celery and bell peppers, and sauté over low heat, stirring frequently, until they become tender.
3. Stir bulgur and sautéed vegetables into simmering lentils. Cover and simmer over very low heat until water is completely absorbed and lentils and bulgur are tender. Be careful the mixture doesn't burn. Season to taste with salt and peper. Allow mixture to cool thoroughly and become firm.
4. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Shape cooled mixture into burgers, and gently dredge in breading to coat both sides.
Melt liberal coating of ghee or oil on griddle or large skillet. The idea is to thoroughly moisten breading without saturating the burgers. Fry over low heat on both sides until breading is browned and the burgers are heated through. Replenish ghee or oil as necessary to coat breading.
Preheat oven to 350º. Liberally coat a baking sheet with melted ghee or oil. Place burgers on baking sheet, and then carefully flip each one so that top side is moistened with oil. Bake until breading is nicely browned, about 30 minutes.
5. Combine all sauce ingredients in food processor, or beat together thoroughly. Thin to desired consistency with stock or water.
Photography by: Laurie Smith
Calories 209,Fat 5,Perfat 38,Cholesterol 20,Carbo 23,Protein 10,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A