Serves 8 / The arugula in this unusual pizza adds a crisp texture and a distinct mustard-like aftertaste. For a different variation, add 1/2 cup pine nuts on top of the pizza.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Grilling Time: 10 minutes
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4-8 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated pepper
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
3 cups arugula or a mixture of arugula, spinach, and/or escarole
1 12-inch thin-crust Italian bread shell
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat a gas grill to medium high or build a fire in a kettle grill.
2. Wash greens, being sure to remove as much moisture as possible, and chop. Set aside.
3. Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high. Add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and greens; stir to mix, cover, and steam about 4 minutes or until greens are wilted.
4. Brush both sides of the pizza crust with olive oil. Grill crust 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill.
5. Place the pizza crust either on a pizza pan made for the grill or on a piece of aluminum foil. Add the sautéed vegetables; top with the crumbled cheese.
6. Return to the grill, close lid, and heat 5 to 7 minutes.