2008 Delicious Living Reader Recipe Contest: FIRST PLACE, Entrees
Serves 6 / A burger lover’s dream that also sneaks in a vegetable serving. The basil-mint flavors perfectly complement the eggplant and beef.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 pounds ground sirloin
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup grated yellow onion
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 Chinese eggplants, or 1 medium eggplant
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 ciabatta rolls
4 ounces Meyenberg Garlic & Chive Jack Goat Cheese
1. Heat balsamic vinegar in a medium saucepan over high heat until it comes to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for around 12 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Set aside.
2. In a mini food processor, blend mayonnaise, basil, and mint. Refrigerate.
3. In a large bowl, combine ground sirloin with Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, salt, and pepper. Form into six patties. Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Preheat a greased grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill eggplant slices on grill pan for 2-3 minutes per side, or until tender. Remove from heat and set aside. Place burger patties on grill pan and cook until done (4 minutes per side for medium). Remove to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Lightly toast each ciabatta roll half on grill pan for 2 minutes.
5. Spread each ciabatta half (top and bottom) with basil-mint mayonnaise. Place a burger on each ciabatta bottom and place a few slices of grilled eggplant on top. Top with cheese and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Add ciabatta tops and serve.