Serves 4 / These cakes put leftover cooked salmon to delicious use as a pretty lunch or light dinner rich in beneficial omega-3s. Accompany with lemon wedges over salad greens drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
1 pound cooked salmon, bones and skin removed, chilled
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 small jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 large clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1. Prepare salmon cakes: In a large bowl, flake salmon with a fork. Add green onions, bell pepper, jalapeño, lemon zest, mustard, egg whites, mayonnaise, and 1 cup panko. Stir with a fork to combine lightly. Form mixture into 8 cakes, each roughly 3 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick.
2. Combine remaining 1/2 cup panko with black pepper on a large plate. Working carefully and with one hand, press both sides of each cake into panko, squeezing the mixture gently so that it does not crumble. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes while preparing herbed yogurt.
3. For herbed yogurt: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Allow to sit at room temperature, covered, 30–45 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
5. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until nearly smoking. Working in batches, brown cakes well on both sides, then remove to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with additional cakes in remaining oil. Transfer cakes to the hot oven for 7–9 minutes, or until heated through. Drizzle with herbed yogurt and serve.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving (2 cakes, 1/4 cup yogurt): |
|Calories: 336 calories |
|% fat calories: 30 |
|Fat: 11g |
|Saturated Fat: 2g |
|Cholesterol: 66mg |
|Protein: 34g |
|Carbohydrate: 24g |
|Fiber: 2g |
|Sodium: 237mg |