Prep/cook time: 30 minutes
Serves 4 / Prep tips: Use precut broccoli florets to shorten prep time, or sub frozen broccoli, adding it closer to the end of cooking time. Serving tip: An ample side serving of vegetables makes this meal complete without a starch, but you could also serve it with soba noodles, polenta, or quinoa.
1/3 cup dried arame sea vegetable (about one handful)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 3- to 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
5 teaspoons low-sodium, wheat-free tamari
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
6-7 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 small red onion
1 large head broccoli (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon mirin, or other sweet white wine
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Place arame in a bowl and cover with warm water.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear one side of chicken breasts until golden brown, 2 minutes. Flip and sear remaining side for 2 minutes. Add orange juice and 3/4 cup broth. Drizzle each breast with 1 teaspoon tamari. Add 2 pressed garlic cloves. Cover and cook on medium until juices run clear, about 15 minutes.
3. While chicken is cooking, remove and discard stems from shiitakes and slice caps, to yield about 3 cups. Halve onion and slice each half crosswise into half moons. Cut broccoli into small florets (save stems for another use). Drain arame.
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a separate skillet and sauté onions and mushrooms until softened, about 3 minutes. Add remaining garlic, broccoli, and drained arame; stir to combine. Add remaining broth and tamari, 1 tablespoon mirin, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until broccoli is tender, 6–8 minutes, adding a few tablespoons water if needed to prevent scorching.
5. When chicken is cooked, transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Pour remaining 1/4 cup mirin into pan and cook over medium-high, scraping up bits from bottom of pan, until thickened, about 2 minutes. To serve, place one chicken breast on each plate. Drizzle with sauce and arrange vegetables around chicken. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 246 cal, 8g fat (5g mono, 1g poly, 1g sat), 49mg chol, 25g protein, 18g carb, 5g fiber, 425mg sodium