What is in this article?:
Did you know that each American consumes a whopping 23 teaspoons of added sweeteners per day? Here's how to clear your mind and heal your body by following a sugar-free diet.
Shift 4: Let "80/20" work for you
Perfectionism doesn’t make room for real life, so after you’ve made a clean break, try an 80/20 approach. Make at least 80 percent of your choices healthy ones, leaving 20 percent wiggle room for splurges that help you feel satisfied. And what exactly are these splurges? That depends on what works well for your body and mind, but a splurge may be a medjool date with an almond inside. Experiment with varying amounts and types of fruits, whole and dried. Try small amounts of natural sweeteners, such as honey, agave, and organic cane sugar, to see how your body responds. Peeke cautions against artificial sweeteners: “Splenda can trigger the reward center equally if not greater than sugar in some individuals. Try herbal stevia instead.” Ultimately, you’ll need to figure out what balance looks like after you’ve broken free of your dependence on refined sugars.