What is in this article?:
- Are synthetic fragrances harmful?
- 4 tips for buying natural fragrances
Are synthetic fragrances bad for my health? What's the difference between a natural and synthetic fragrance? How do I know if a fragrance is truly natural? Your top questions answered, plus shopping tips.
4 tips for buying natural fragrances
1. When possible, choose products that list all constituent fragrance ingredients.
2. If a company doesn’t reveal every ingredient, look for wording that indicates a product is free from sulfates, phthalates, parabens, petrochemicals, propylene glycol, and “synthetic” or “artificial” fragrance.
3. USDA Organic, NSF/ANSI 305 “contains organic,” and NPA Natural certifications prohibit synthetic scents.
4. Choose brands that are members of the Natural Perfumers Guild. Find a complete list at naturalperfumers.com.