What is in this article?:
- 9 natural personal care predictions for 2017
- The gut-skin connection
- Natural beauty is the new craft beer
- Diversifying the natural beauty retail landscape
- It better work better
- Waste-not beauty
- Nontoxic antibacterials go "viral"
- Industry self-regulation is the only way
- Essential oils keep going…and going….
- Better together: pairing topical and ingestible products
Many of the trends shaping the future of natural and organic personal care are manifestations of today’s larger top-of-mind issues—health, environmental sustainability, trust and integrity.
Waste has been an important topic as manufacturers, advocacy groups, retailers and more explore ways to "save" potentially wasted good food and distribute it where it’s most needed.
What started with ancient cultures using discarded ingredients in unique ways is transforming into green chemistry innovations, according to Kantha Shelke, PhD, CFS, principal at Corvus Blue LLC, a Chicago-based food science and research firm. "Biotechnologists are now advancing this practice in a more systematic manner to find ways to recycle and valorize agro-food industry by-products."
Also expect to see more happening in waste-free packaging in the beauty space. Innovative botanical papers processed eco-efficiently from plant waste such as coca husk from the chocolate industry, coffee chaff and cellulose from rice are some of the most up-and-coming potential solutions to wasteful plastic packaging.