What is in this article?:
- 9 natural personal care predictions for 2017
- The gut-skin connection
- Natural beauty is the new craft beer
- Diversifying the natural beauty retail landscape
- It better work better
- Waste-not beauty
- Nontoxic antibacterials go "viral"
- Industry self-regulation is the only way
- Essential oils keep going…and going….
- Better together: pairing topical and ingestible products
Many of the trends shaping the future of natural and organic personal care are manifestations of today’s larger top-of-mind issues—health, environmental sustainability, trust and integrity.
The gut-skin connection
It’s critical to address the relationship between health and beauty when it comes to natural beauty’s growth, and a key piece of this puzzle is the microbiome—the millions of bacteria and biomes found in and on the human body. (See related: What you need to know about your microbiome)
The rapidly growing gut-health category is no longer linked only to digestion, according to NBJ's 2016 Healthy Solutions Report, which shows that gut health is increasingly being tied to immunity, brain health and more, including skin health. As a result, we predict that the skin care and nutricosmetics will start capitalizing on the role of healthy bacteria in healthy skin.