- Add blueberries, cranberries, grapes, or chopped plums to your burger mixture; spike marinades and sauces with garlic, ginger, rosemary, and oregano. These ingredients’ antioxidants can help decrease HCA formation when you’re grilling meat, poultry, and fish.
- Top burgers or grilled meats with a yogurt and chutney mixture.
- Blend plain yogurt with mustard or pesto and spread on burgers or grilled chicken.
- Blend 2–3 tablespoons almond butter with 1 clove minced garlic, a dash of cayenne, and 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, and water. Use as a sauce for kabobs or burgers.
- Mix 1 chopped cucumber (peeled and seeded) with 1 diced avocado, fresh juice from 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon miso, and a few tablespoons of minced fresh mint. Use to garnish grilled meat or chicken.
- For a salsa twist, combine 1 chopped mango, 1 diced avocado, juice from 1 lime, a dash of sea salt, 1/4 of a minced jalapeño pepper, and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro. Terrific on grilled fish.