Certain nutritional factors keep the liver operating smoothly and induce detoxification through enzymatic pathway.
Certain nutritional factors keep the liver operating smoothly and induce detoxification through enzymatic pathways:
- Garlic, legumes, onions and eggs — all sulfur-rich foods — enhance sulfation, which makes toxins easier to excrete.
- Broccoli, brussels sprouts and cabbage enhance glutathione conjugation, a complex process of converting fat-soluble toxins to water-soluble ones for easier excretion.
- Green leafy vegetables rich in folic acid, whole grains and legumes rich in vitamin B6, and animal products or supplements providing vitamin B12 inactivate estrogens and increase both bile and lipid flow.
- Nutritional yeast, whole grains, cabbage, citrus fruits and peppers provide the B vitamins and vitamin C necessary for the elimination of sulfa drugs.
- Artichokes, beets, carrots, dandelion and herbs, such as cinnamon, licorice and turmeric, are also useful in maintaining liver health.
Source: Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine (Prima) by Michael Murray, N.D., and Joseph Pizzorno, N.D.