Read related article: Recipes for cancer prevention
- Eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans. These foods should fill at least two-thirds of your plate at every meal.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Limit red meat to 18 ounces (cooked weight) per week.
- Eat cancer-fighting foods instead of relying on nutritional supplements.
- Avoid processed meats: smoked, cured, or otherwise preserved.
- Limit alcohol. Even one drink per day is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer in women.
Professional cook Laurie Gauguin creates dishes for private clients and writes about food in the San Francisco area. Read Laurie's kitchen chronicles on her blog, ladleandwhisk.wordpress.com.