- Drink 3 cups per day of fat-free or low-fat milk or equivalent milk products.
- Consume less than 10 percent of calories from saturated fatty acids and less than 300 mg per day of cholesterol, and keep trans fatty acid consumption as low as possible. Keep total fat intake between 20 percent and 35 percent of calories.
- Choose fiber-rich foods, veggies, and whole grains often.
- Practice good oral hygiene and eat fewer sugar- and starch-containing foods and beverages. Choose and prepare foods with little added sugars or caloric sweeteners.
- Maintain body weight and prevent gradual weight gain.
- Engage in regular physical activity, and reduce sedentary activities to promote health, psychological well-being, and a healthy body weight.
- Consume less than 2,300 mg sodium (approximately 1 teaspoon of salt) per day. Eat potassium-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Focus on food safety. Source: www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines.