| Vegetable Cobbler with Fresh Herb Biscuits |
Serves 6 / Cooking tip: To make this vegan, substitute soy milk for the nonfat milk.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 pound cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets
1 cup small broccoli florets
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup nonfat milk
2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons walnut oil
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1/3 cup minced fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion; cook until golden brown. Add garlic, green onions, carrots, and parsnips; cook another 10 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cauliflower and broccoli; cook for 2 minutes, then add broth. Cover; cook 20 minutes. Uncover and boil until liquid is reduced to a glaze, 2–5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup milk with 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour and pour into
skillet. Add nutmeg, parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Stir until heated through. Do not boil.
4. Pour into six 2-cup casseroles or ramekins, or a deep 6–8 cup casserole dish.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, flaxseed meal, and baking powder. Drizzle oil over flour mixture and blend with a fork until crumbly. Add milk, chives, dill, and salt; stir to
combine. Do not overmix. Dough will be very moist.
6. Drop batter over vegetables. Bake until biscuits are golden brown (15 minutes for ramekins, 20–25 minutes for casserole). Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 399 cal, 48% fat cal, 22g fat, 2g sat fat, 1mg chol, 9g protein, 45g carb, 9g fiber, 622mg sodium