|Marinated Baby Eggplant Pizza |
Serves 4 / This marinated eggplant is also wonderful on sandwiches. Eggplants soak up oil like sponges; try salting them before cooking to reduce the amount of oil needed.
6 baby eggplants (about 8 ounces)
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
4 individual prebaked pizza crusts
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Large pinch crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium bowl, mix together all marinade ingredients. Set aside.
2. Thinly slice eggplant lengthwise. Sprinkle both cut sides of eggplant with salt. Allow eggplant to sit on a paper towel for 15 minutes, until paper towel is saturated. If desired, brush eggplant to remove excess salt.
3. In a cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Cover bottom of pan with eggplant (do not stack) and fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside and fry any remaining eggplant. Add more olive oil if needed.
4. Add eggplant to marinade. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400°. Brush pizza crusts with marinade. Layer eggplant on each crust. Brush with more marinade and top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes until eggplant is hot and cheese is melted.
Calories 626,Fat 45,Perfat 65,Cholesterol 12,Carbo 45,Protein 11