Hiziki Caviar & Cornmeal Blini Yields 1 1/3 cups caviar
and 2 1/2 dozen blini Made with the sea vegetable hiziki, this mock caviar adds elegance to any party buffet.
Hiziki balances blood sugar and is a superior source of calcium and iron. Serve Hiziki
Caviar with yeast-free, vegan cornmeal blini.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Soaking Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
6 tablespoons hiziki (sea vegetable)
2/3 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons shoyu or tamari
1/3 cup filtered water
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 3/4 cups onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Pinch sea salt
1 small piece gingerroot, peeled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Chopped parsley or chives for garnish
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon rice or apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. To make Hiziki Caviar: Place hiziki in a mesh strainer and rinse with lukewarm water. Transfer hiziki to a medium bowl, cover with apple juice, shoyu and water, and soak 30 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed medium skillet on low heat. Stir in onion and garlic; sprinkle with salt and sauté 5 minutes. Add hiziki and marinade, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Grate ginger and squeeze to extract 1 tablespoon juice. Add ginger juice and lemon juice to skillet; cook, covered, 10 minutes more. Uncover and cook over medium heat 3 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Cool the hiziki slightly and chop finely in a food processor or by hand. Chill before serving.
4. To make Cornmeal Blini: Sift cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. In a small bowl, beat together oil, maple syrup, soymilk, water and vinegar. Stir in parsley.
5. Warm a skillet over medium heat and brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Drop batter by scant tablespoons onto heated skillet. Carefully turn blini after about 1 minute. Turn heat off and cook second side 45 seconds longer. Repeat with remaining batter, stirring batter before each batch.
6. To serve blini and caviar: Place 1 teaspoon hiziki caviar in center of each blini and garnish with chopped parsley or chives.