30 minutes. Serves 6 / A fabulous use for leftover cooked rice. Don't let the long list intimidate you; once you have everything out, prep goes fast. Kids love this! Prep tip: For nonvegetarians, consider adding shrimp or ham, plus a dollop of oyster sauce to deepen the flavor.
2 tablespoons dry sherry, white wine, vegetable broth, or apple cider
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
10 fresh shiitake or button mushrooms
4 cups cooked brown rice or white rice, preferably long-grain
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 eggs, well beaten
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 cups frozen shelled edamame (soybeans) or tiny peas
½ cup diced fresh pineapple or well-drained canned crushed pineapple
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup dry-roasted and salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- Combine sherry (or other options), soy sauce, salt, and sugar in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Remove and discard mushroom stems (or save for making stock). Slice caps into long, thin strips and set aside. Using hands, gently crumble cooked rice into individual grains in a medium bowl.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and swirl to coat. Add eggs and tilt to spread into a thin pancake. As soon as eggs are set, turn to cook other side briefly; a few seconds will do. Turn onto a plate.
- Transfer egg pancake to a cutting board and roll into cylinder. Slice thinly crosswise to make long, slender ribbons. Set aside.
- Heat pan again over high heat until very hot. Add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and swirl to coat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic, and toss until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and toss well. Add edamame and cook, tossing gently now and then, until mushrooms are wilted and shiny, about 3 minutes. Scatter in rice and toss well. Pour soy sauce mixture around pan sides and toss to mix and season everything evenly.
- Add pineapple and toss to combine everything well. Cook, tossing now and then, until rice is heated through and tender, about 2 minutes more. Add egg ribbons, green onions, sesame oil, cilantro, and salt to taste; toss gently to combine. Top with cashews. Serve hot or warm.
PER SERVING: 463 cal, 48% fat cal, 25g fat, 5g sat fat, 71mg chol, 15g protein, 47g carb, 5g fiber, 478mg sodium