|Easy Strawberry Tart with Oat-Cinnamon Crust |
Serves 8-10 / A refreshing, low-calorie dessert, this tart is excellent served with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose, organic flour
1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons canola oil
2-3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
1 1/2 pints fresh strawberries
1/4 cup all-fruit strawberry spread
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda in medium bowl. Stir until blended.
2. Stir in oil and 2 tablespoons yogurt to make a soft, somewhat sticky dough. Add remaining yogurt if dough is too stiff.
3. Place dough on the prepared baking sheet and pat into a 10-inch circle. Place a 9-inch cake pan on the dough and trace around it with a knife. With your fingers, push up and pinch the dough around the outside of the circle to make a 9-inch circle with a rim 1/4 inch high. Bake for 15 minutes, or until firm and golden. Remove from oven and let cool. With a spatula, gently ease crust onto large, flat serving plate.
4. Wash strawberries and pat dry. Slice off stems.
5. In a small microwaveable bowl or on stovetop, combine strawberry spread and vanilla. Microwave for 15 seconds, or heat until melted. Brush a generous tablespoon evenly over the cooled crust. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, evenly on crust. Brush or dab remaining spread over strawberries, making sure to get some of the spread between the strawberries to secure them. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.
FUNctional Kitchen is provided by James Rouse, ND, and Debra Rouse, ND.
PER SERVING: 134 cal, 27% fat cal, 4g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 3g protein, 22g carb, 2g fiber, 45mg sodium