Chicken-Gorgonzola Pizza with Caramelized Onions
Serves 8 / For milder flavor, substitute 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella for the Gorgonzola. The intensely flavored tomato sauce can be made in 30 minutes; it’s also a great sauce for pasta or lasagna.
Chunky Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup medium-dry sherry
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 chicken half-breast (about 6 ounces), cut lengthwise into strips
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1/2 Basic Pizza Dough recipe, mixed with 1 tablespoon combined fresh basil, oregano, and thyme (or one 12-inch store-bought crust)
1. For the sauce, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan; add red onion and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes. Add remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
2. In a skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion slices, cover, and cook 3–4 minutes. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark brown. Remove from pan.
3. Using the same skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat and add chicken. When chicken begins to turn white, sprinkle with basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 400º. Roll pizza dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Coat a round pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to pan.
5. Spread 1/2–3/4 cup sauce over crust, leaving 1/2 inch of crust showing around the edge. Spread caramelized onions and mushrooms evenly over sauce. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, then top with cooked chicken. Bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.