One of a handful of fruits native to North America, the cranberry has long been a folk remedy for wounds and fever. Now, modern studies prove our ancestors were on to something: These piquant berries are loaded with healing antioxidants. They can help prevent urinary tract infections, stomach ulcers, and periodontal disease, and may reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. In fact, in one study of 20 common fruits—including oranges and strawberries—cranberries had significantly more phenol antioxidants than any other (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2001, vol. 49, no. 11). Aside from making a tangy compliment to turkey, this brilliant berry adds a health perk to some of our favorite products.
- MyChelle Cranberry Mud Mask. A detoxifying mask that's especially good for acne-prone skin; try the cranberry cleanser, too.
- Solaray CranActin Cranberry AF Extract can treat urinary tract infections by keeping bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.
- Lakewood 100% Organic Pure Cranberry Juice. This fresh-pressed, full-strength juice packs a powerful nutritional punch; mix it with apple juice for healthy refreshment.
- Stonewall Orange-Cranberry Marmalade. This traditional marmalade gets a tart twist from cranberries; slather it on toast or scones, or serve it with Neufchâtel cheese and crackers.
- Arrowhead Mills Organic Kamut Flakes with Cranberry. Organic cranberries bursting with flavor are paired with crunchy kamut flakes; great for munching straight out of the box.