Instead of stressing out, de-stress with these five herbs.
- Chamomile (Matricaria chamomila) is rich in calcium and magnesium, making it a natural nervince, useful for calming nerves and upset stomachs and promoting sleep. Avoid if you're allergic to ragweed.
- Kava (Piper methysticum) can relieve anxiety and agitation, according to Germany's Commission E. Kava's muscle-relaxing effects also make it good for alleviating tension headaches. Avoid if you're pregnant, nursing or taking sedatives.
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) acts as a gentle natural tranquilizer. Combine with chamomile tea or tinctures to relieve nervousness and enhance sleep.
- Motherwort (Leonorus cardiaca) is a sedative, nervine and antispasmotic, which is useful for nervousness and hysteria. A strong uterine stimulant, it should be avoided during preganancy.
- Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) is used to reduce anxiety, calm nervous stomachs and treat insomnia. May exaggerate the effects of sedative medications.
Sources: The Herbs of Life: Health & Healing Using Western & Chinese Medicine (The Crossing Press) by Lesley Tierra, LAc; Natural Health Bible (Prima) by Steven Bratman, MD, and David Kroll, PhD
Note: This isn't intended as medical advice.