- Sitting at the table, close your eyes and relax your body. Take ten deep, full breaths, silently repeating the word "calm" on each exhale.
- Open your eyes and observe your plate; notice the colors, textures, shapes, and smells. Do this for 30 seconds to a full minute before beginning to eat.
- As you eat, pay attention to flavors and textures. Put words to how the food feels in your mouth: Is it rich? Light? Flowery? Crunchy?
- Feel the food moving down your esophagus into your stomach. Visualize the nutrients entering your bloodstream and nourishing your cells.
- After you finish eating, close your eyes and take a moment to notice how you feel.