Like its virgin cousin, spiced apple cider, mulled wine incorporates the key holiday spices—cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves—into a deliciously warm and decadent drink.
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine, such as Merlot or Pinot Noir
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ounce brandy (or more to taste)
- 1/3 cup honey, plus more to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Simmer for 10 minutes; do not boil.
3. Adjust sweetness to taste. Serve warm.
PER SERVING: 88 cal, 1% fat cal, 0g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 0g protein, 22g carb, 0g fiber, 7mg sodium