What is in this article?:
- 27 ways to get perfect skin, naturally
- Why am I developing acne?
- Should I go without sunscreen so my body can make vitamin D?
- Do I need to moisturize daily?
- Can natural ingredients fight wrinkles?
- Can I eliminate under-eye circles and puffiness?
- Do I really need my beauty sleep?
- Worst skin care ingredients, how to tell if a product is working
Natural beauty experts weigh in on adult acne, wrinkle prevention, and other key skin care concerns. Plus, learn how to choose safe, effective products.
Worst skin care ingredients, how to tell if a product is working
Worst skin care ingredient offenders
Polyethylene glycol, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, and oxybenzone in antiaging products and sunscreens.
Fragrance and triclosan in makeup, soaps, exfoliants,
Phthalates, parabens, and petroleum in everything from facial wash to moisturizers.
Highly concentrated glycolic acid in peels and antiaging products. Avoid products containing more than 5 percent glycolic acid.
How long does it take for a product to work?
Allow 28 to 35 days, the time it takes the outer skin layer to renew itself, before evaluating. Initial mild irritation is normal and often a sign your skin is detoxifying. But stinging, severe redness, or prolonged breakouts indicate you should stop using the product.