What is in this article?:
- 27 ways to get perfect skin, naturally
- Why am I developing acne?
- Should I go without sunscreen so my body can make vitamin D?
- Do I need to moisturize daily?
- Can natural ingredients fight wrinkles?
- Can I eliminate under-eye circles and puffiness?
- Do I really need my beauty sleep?
- Worst skin care ingredients, how to tell if a product is working
Natural beauty experts weigh in on adult acne, wrinkle prevention, and other key skin care concerns. Plus, learn how to choose safe, effective products.
Do I need to moisturize daily?
Dry, itchy skin can lead to more than minor discomfort; low levels of ceramides—lipids that keep water locked in your skin—can cause inflammation that triggers psoriasis, eczema, even acne. Over the long haul, severe dryness can deplete skin's outer barrier, making it vulnerable to environmental damage and upping the risk for visible signs of aging, says Logan.
Beauty fix: Use an antioxidant-rich, plant-based moisturizer with nourishing shea butter, cocoa butter, or natural oils once daily, and twice daily during winter when ceramides need an extra boost. Take fish-oil supplements and eat fatty-acid-rich foods like salmon, shown to help relieve dryness and dermatitis. You can now find natural ceramides in skin-supporting supplements, too, which hydrate skin and reduce inflammation.
Try: Genuine Health Dermalipid; MyChelle Deep Repair Cream