What is in this article?:
- 27 ways to get perfect skin, naturally
- Why am I developing acne?
- Should I go without sunscreen so my body can make vitamin D?
- Do I need to moisturize daily?
- Can natural ingredients fight wrinkles?
- Can I eliminate under-eye circles and puffiness?
- Do I really need my beauty sleep?
- Worst skin care ingredients, how to tell if a product is working
Natural beauty experts weigh in on adult acne, wrinkle prevention, and other key skin care concerns. Plus, learn how to choose safe, effective products.
Why am I developing acne?
Hormones aren't to blame just for teen acne; they're also the culprit behind breakouts that appear well after adolescence on the nose, forehead, and jawline. "When you reach 30, 35, or 40, your hormones start to change," says Maine-based holistic aesthetician Stephanie Tourles, author of Organic Body Care Recipes (Storey, 2007). "You have less estrogen cycling through your body." Plus, stress can cause sebaceous glands to pump out more, thicker oil and clog pores.
Beauty fix: Using a delicate clay mask, such as kaolin, twice weekly will help dry out oily areas, gently exfoliate, increase circulation, and unclog pores—without stripping protective oils. Also, keep a bottle of antibacterial, anti-inflammatory aloe vera handy and apply to breakout-prone areas a few times daily. "But keep your hands off your face," warns Tourles. Other acne-fighting tips: Clean your bacteria-laden phone, change pillowcases frequently, and get a monthly facial to clear pores.